Welcome to Training in Security | Home

What is SIA?

The Security Industry Authority is the organisation responsible for regulating the private security industry. We are an independent body reporting to the Home Secretary, under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001. Their mission is to regulate the private security industry effectively; to reduce criminality, raise standards and recognise quality service.

There are two types of SIA licence:

  • A front line licence is required if undertaking licensable activity, other than key holding activities (this also covers undertaking non-front line activity). A front line licence is in the form of a credit card-sized plastic card that must be worn, subject to the licence conditions.
  • A non-front line licence is required for those who manage, supervise and/or employ individuals who engage in licensable activity, as long as front line activity is not carried out - this includes directors* or partners. A non-front line licence is issued in the form of a letter that also covers key holding activities.

You will need a SIA license from the Security Industry Authority if you wish to work as a Security Officer or a door supervisor and are responsible for security, protection or screening the suitability of persons entering licence premises or dealing with conflict in pubs, clubs and other license premises open to the public.

Whether you are already working as a Security Officer or Door Supervisor but are yet to receive SIA training, or you are considering work as a Security Officer or Door Supervisor, you need to be SIA licensed as a Door Supervisor/Security Guard/CCTV Operator

It is illegal to work as a Security Officer/Door Supervisor or CCTV Operative without a SIA Security license.

Please go to either the Door Supervisor Training Courses or Training Courses page for more information.

For more information on the SIA, please visit their site on this link: www.the-sia.org.uk or http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/enforcement-prosecutions.aspx